top of page

Impulsively Creative

  • mlabks

Hopefully, clearing up my last post!

We were hit with a big snowstorm Thursday evening into Friday. As a result, I and the rest of the Fairport School district had a snow day! I decided to take advantage of the bonus day and work on my roman blinds. Before I go any further though I wanted to address the faux window in our master bedroom. My husband and I were talking and I mentioned that the last post I did on our bedroom “Return to the Master Bedroom” did not have a lot of response. My husband, being the wonderful man that he is, said maybe your readers couldn’t see the same vision you had. I went back to the post and looked at it again and realized he was right. It looked like molding on a wall in the shape of a window looking into the abyss. I hope today’s post will clear up where I was going with this project.

If you have been following my Blog you know that I changed directions concerning the faux window a few times. I really want to make it work so we can keep our new bedroom arrangement which makes the room seem so much bigger. So I keep plugging along and if it is a fail, then it’s a fail. I will never be afraid to show you my failures, and I assure you there have been many. These failures often lead me to something better. So I will keep pushing the boundaries and see where it takes me and hopefully you’ll come along for the ride!


This is from “Return to the Master Bedroom” post. In the future, I will try and make the direction I am going in on these projects more clear.


Cutting the fabric for this project is a little more involved than usual. In this case I need to cut both panels exactly the same since they will be hanging next to each other and the pattern needs to match up.


The width of the window measures 35 1/2 inches. I added 4 inches more inches for seam allowances and begin to cut. I wanted the large medallion in the pattern to be centered in the middle of the shade. I divided 39 1/2 inches found the center point on the medallion and made my cuts.


Before I add the lining I make sure both panels line up.


Its a match! What a relief!


I cut the lining 2 inches shorter so I can bring the fabric over the liner. This way you will not be able to see the liner from the front of shade.


Before I sew up the seams, I take it to the window to check measurements. I learned the hard way by having to rip seams out in the past because it didn’t fit.


This is the result. I still have work to do on the shade I want to add a draw cord. I have never done that before so I want to take my time with it. I will say you really can’t tell which is the faux and which is real.


The one next to the picture is the faux if you wanted to know!


This is a picture of the view from our bedroom. My plan is to have this blown up to fit the faux window. If it works I am hoping when I raise the shade it will look like the view outside. I am going to wait until the snow melts so the picture can be used year round.

Our bedroom is coming along. I am excited about the window and will be tackling other projects in the coming months. These include, adding crown molding, refinishing the wood floor, painting our existing furniture to give it a whole new look and finding new bedding. Its a lot, but doing it in steps will make it less overwhelming!

1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


PRODUCTS USED

Amazing Casting Resin
$14.99

Amazing Casting Resin
$14.99

bottom of page