top of page

Impulsively Creative

  • mlabks

Pantry door reveal!

It has been a long time coming, but the pantry door is finally done! I have to admit this one was tough. It seemed like every time I solved an issue something else came up. I kept going because I knew it would be special and I was right! First a recap then the reveal!

At the end some addition updates!

This is what she looked like when I bought her off Craigslist. She had been sitting in an old barn for years. I knew it would take a lot of work. Oh boy was I right!

After scraping!



It was time to fill the holes.

IMG_7263 (5)

It was all patched up, but it still needed a little something.

IMG_6669 (2)

I added molding to the panels on the bottom of the door.

IMG_6669 (3)

And also to the glass panels at the top of the door.

When I first started the door, I was not sure if I would paint it or stain it. With all the repair work that it needed, I had to paint it.

To help me choose a color, I took my drapery fabric and a picture of the dining room chair fabric as references.

I ended up choosing “Starless Night” from Behr in an eggshell finish.

I primed and painted.

Took off the old hardware.

I replaced it with antique hardware I found at Rehouse Salvage in Rochester, N.Y.

I also wanted to do something special to the glass windows on the door. Not only to hide the pantry contents, but some of the glass was scratched. I thought of frosting the glass or using a mirror effect spray paint. Either would have been beautiful, but I wanted to tie in the antique hardware somehow. I remembered seeing some kind of grating at Home Depot. It comes in a variety of metals, including brass and gold.

This definitely did the trick!

After measuring I got my trusty metal cutter snips out.

Cutting was easy. It was the sharp edges I needed to watch out for.

The first piece was cut and ready to be put in window.

This is how it looked.

The finished door!

Love the combination of the metal grating and the door hardware!

It was a long process, but worth the end result!

Addition updates: This week was probably the most chaotic it has been in the house since the project started. We had people working most everyday, but Wednesday and Thursday were unbelievable. There were about fifteen people working in the house at the same time. The electrician, plumber, HVAC, window people and framers each had there own team. Managing all this was our contractor, Vinny Orologio of V.J Construction. It was truly amazing to watch! Everyone did what needed to be done very efficiently.

This was the street in front of our house with all the workers’ trucks parked.

This is just a little bit of what was going on.

1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All



Amazing Casting Resin

Amazing Casting Resin

bottom of page